Game of Thrones Season 3 Episode 5 "Kissed by Fire" - Spoilers!

For some time now I have been writing little reviews on my Facebook after each episode.
I realized that they are becoming longer and longer with each episode, so this time I decided to post here. This change gives me more space and possibilities to share my opinions and contemplations. I can also share more screenshots that are fully visible in the post. I realize that long posts on Facebook are often perceived as - too long, didn't read, while my blog lets me present them in more tempting way. A little disclaimer too: I do not and hopefully never will compare the show to the books. I trust that George R.R. Martin, who works with the show creators, keeps an eye on everything. I also fully accept the fact that tv shows and books are two different mediums,therefore affect our senses in a different way. I shall refrain myself from comparing the two, unless it strikes me very hard! You have been warned about possible spoilers, I assume I will also include my own divagations and theories.


Screenshots are very dark on my screen... If you want to see them better just click on them!

"Kissed by the Fire"

As usual the title refers to many scenes of the episode. I like that, it is a nice touch and always gives me something to think about. The episode five starts with some fireworks. Here we have Sandor "The Hound" Clegane being challenged by the leader of The Brotherhood without Banners Beric Dondarrion. Now Beric is a fiery guy, he has a nice burning sword, with which he fight Sandor in his trial by combat. This is not a very fair fight to be honest since Hound's only weakness is fire. He fights bravely and wins, killing Beric and winning his freedom. Poor Arya can only watch Sandor leaving the cave, still not being punished for killing her friend Mycah. Beric however rises from his fifth death... Crazy, you would think! But no... since the dragons came back to the world magic is becoming more and more spectacular.
I have to give it to The Hound - even now, when he has nothing, he still wants to live so badly, he is able to fight his biggest nightmare...

Trial by combat

This episode consist many naked scenes! Boobies and butts of both genders to please all viewers I would say. We arrive at frozen North to witness Jon Snow and his new girlfriend (kissed by fire - Ygritte), making out in a different cave. Jon is not an unusual guy, like most he doesn't like when girl talks about her ex lovers after a lovely cunillingus. While for some viewers this may be something to wait for, I could only think how smelly they must be after wearing all this fur for weeks, without bathing. Maybe I am not a romantic...
Ah... cause of all the nakedness I forgot to mention that Jon is still not trusted by some of his new pals in the North, to prove himself he has to sleep with a girl. Pretty fair deal if you ask me.

Poor Jon...

Ok... Back to the first cave! Gendry and Arya are saying goodbyes. I can't stop thinking how these two remind me of Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon. Arya calls him her family and Gendry calls her 'my lady'. He is probably the oldest son of Robert (knowing the good old late king Robert, it is possible he fathered more illegitimate children, but then again who knows if they are still alive...) and maybe one day Arya will call him 'my king'. Even tho I dislike Arya as a character more and more with every book, I admire Maisie Williams. It is her first role and she is splendid! Very touching scene.

I really have to mention Rob at this point. I don't think it struck me this hard in the books. I think it is the dramatic music and the gestures he is making (he throws his sword away and clenching his fists), but it is really painful to watch how the war changed him. The revenge and abandonment of his allies brings only more pain to everyone around. He can not fight off his conviction even if the alternative weighs in his advantage. He is truly his father's son, burdened with too much responsibility at early age.

Son of his father

Stannis Baratheon reunites briefly with his family, he is feeling guilty after succumbing to Melisandre and confesses to his wife. She feels guilty for not giving him heirs, only a "sick and dirty daughter". She encourages him to continue the relationship with Red Priestess and fight for the Iron Throne. That is what crazy does to people. Yet again being a guy in Westeros pays off...

Selyse and her stillborn sons.

We have a chance to meet Stannis's daughter Shireen. She is a kind girl who cares for her friends, even if they are four times her age traitors who can't read.  Bless the child.

That is all very touching, but where are all the promised boobs and butts?! Now we will have a CLEAR case of inequality in the show. Jamie gets naked, but of course we don't get to see any good bits... apparently showing asses is more appropriate than any other interesting part of the body. Cause butts are not offensive... I bet it would be totally different if guys would have nipples there... But luckily I could not complain too long cause Jamie started to talk. It is like that with Jamie, you hate him and then suddenly he is not so bad anymore if you get to see his point of view, his motives, his feelings. Sadly not all characters were given that chance (like Joff... wait... forget that one) yet. I have noticed that community around GoT is very judgmental towards some characters. Then suddenly they change their minds, claiming they always knew better. I am waiting for everyone to change their minds about Sansa... It's not going to be anytime soon, but it will happen.

Back to Jaime and Brienne. Fascinating scene in the bath. Both camerawork and the actors are excellent. Jaime tells Brienne the truth about being The Kingslayer.
He is broken, he seeks absolution in her eyes. Why her? Maybe once he was like her, or dreamt to be like her: pure, honorable, devoted? He is like a child in that bath, he comes out from it with his sins washed off.
At least in the eyes of one person.

"Jaime... My name is Jaime..."
Rather boring conversation between Barristan Selmy and Jorah Mormont. Jorah tries to figure out if he is in trouble yet. Luckily for him Barristan knows nothing or he just says less than he knows. Daenerys has her new army and she tries to teach them how not to be slaves. I can overlook lack of excitement and Missandei's boobs since we had a lot of those in episodes 3 and 4...

More exciting news on the other side of the sea... There are marriages to be arranged left and right!
Margery and Joffrey, Sansa and Loras, Cersei and Loras, Tyrion and Sansa... wait... what?!
How are they going to afford all that, they had a problem with one wedding.

Jokes aside... pretty ugly scene with good old daddy Lannister. Tyrion is being forced to marry Sansa, who is soon to be heiress of the Winterfell. That brings a lovely smile on Cersei's face... just to be wiped out seconds later by the news of her own wedding with ser Loras Tyrell. Tywin gives a great example of house Lannister motto: "Hear me roar"

The burden of being a Lannister
Once again the music people did a great job. Most memorable in scenes with Rob & Shireen (also as ending credits).
There is one more butt and bits scene in the show but to be honest I think it could be dropped since everybody knows that Littlefinger has spies and Loras is gay and easy.
Not an exciting episode, but with all the stuff that is coming I think it is good that they tone down a bit sometimes. Also it is always a good time to show some nakedness (I am being serious, some people watch this show for boobs, like there is no internet) and explain what the hell is going on (I am being serious again, most of the viewers didn't read the books)
I am still waiting for two major episodes. And it looks like I am going to like it very much. I love how the show progresses and gets better with every season.

How did you like this episode?

Comments

Popular Posts